Oral Cancer Screening
Oral Cancer is a disease resulting from abnormal cell growth in the mouth, lips, tongue or throat. In 2003, an estimated 3,100 new cases of oral cancer were identitifed in Canadians and people over the age of 45 are most at risk. The good news is that oral cancer can be treated successfully if caught early. Our dentists have the expertise and training to detect early signs of the disease.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of oral cancer may include:
- White or dark red patches in your mouth, on your tongue or on your lips
- Lumps or changes in the texture or colour of the mouth tissues
- Bleeding, numbness or sore patches in the mouth that will not heal
- Difficulty Swallowing
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms please do not hesistate to book an oral screening exam.
How does Oral Cancer Screening work?
There are two main aspects of Oral Cancer Screening:
- Visual Examination: Asymmetries, bumps, swellings, patches of colour, ulcerations or other abnormalities in the oral cavity are some of the visual changes that help our dental professionals to identify growing cancer cells.
- Physical Examination: In addition to a visual observation, your dental professional may need to palpate your neck, face and mouth to detect any abnormalities in the form of nodules or masses. Screenings are important as oral cancer is not painful in the early stages.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
The cause of oral cancer is not known but the risk factors include:
- Consumption of tobacco products
- Heavy alcohol consumption
- Poor diet
- Prolonged, repeated exposure of the lips to the sun
Our dentists can only screen for oral cancer. If oral cancer is suspected a biopsy of the suspicious area may be taken, x-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans or MRI’s may be required as well.
It is recommended to get the oral cancer screening done at least once a year by your dental professional.
Dr. Kiran Sandhu prides herself in providing gentle and stress free dental care. Her practice philosophy is to listen to her patients and to provide the highest quality treatment and care in a comfortable environment. She is passionate about Dentistry, with her compassionate nature she makes the dental experience a pleasant one.
Recognizing that Dentistry is a dynamic profession, Dr. Sandhu takes pride in remaining current by regularly attending CDE workshops on the latest technology, products and techniques. He is a member of Canadian Dental Association (CDA), British Columbia Dental Association (BCDA) and College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia (CDSBC).
Schedule a Consultation
Thank you for choosing Marigold Dental
and Welcome to our Practice.